[mythtv-users] Brand new hardware

Dean Blackburn deano at deano.com
Sat Jun 5 21:48:01 EDT 2004

Similar line of thought question:

We're looking to buy around 6-8 such machines for conference and video
rooms in our new offices, with an additional 'beefy' backend system for
the server room.

Are there any HTPC systems available with Dell-quality support, in a
less 'computer tower' form factor? The slick cases all seem to be build
your own in the HTPC area, unless you start to count general small form
factors like Shuttle, Hornet, etc...

Anyone?

As for the original question:

>     I'm thinking of something like:
>
>     P2.4 or Athelon equivalent
>     256 or 512 RAM
>     QUIET OPERATION
>     Small form factor (Dell mini towers are nice)
>     Good, well supported video card with TV out.

This is exactly what I have (w/512MB ram) at home, add in a PVR-350, and
everything seems to work perfectly, or as well as Mythtv can* with all
the modules getting abused constantly.

Probably the only thing I would change would be to try and get the boot
time down to the 10-15 seconds my ReplayTV manages, so that I lose less
of whatever show I'm watching live in the event of a reboot.

>     Any suggestions?  What worked well for you?  I've seen systems like
>     this for around $600 from Dell.  A more affordable solution is
>     always welcome :)

Just watch out with the Dell audio cards... These days, integrated audio
seems to get marginally better support than the OEM soundblasters Dell
uses, but I haven't had a chance to try FC2 yet.

-deano