[mythtv-users] passive Cooling

Michael Messner michael.messner_edv at inode.at
Sat Jun 5 20:44:54 EDT 2004

Am Sonntag, 6. Juni 2004 02:17 schrieb William Powers:
> I too, can attest that you can make a PC pretty darn quiet without
> trying for completely passive cooling.  As originally built, my Myth
> box sounded like a hurricane and everyone else in the family wanted it
> out of the TV room.  So, what I did was to:
>
> 1)  Put in the lowest power Athlon XP CPU I could get at the time
> (1800+ Thoroughbred).

now, I've a testing CPU with just 600MHz in it!

> 2)  Replaced the power supply with a Fortron FSP300-60PN from Newegg.
> Since then, the Coolmax CX-300 has come out and looks even better.
> Zalman is best if you can afford it.

The power supply will be the next thing, thanks!

> 3)  Replaced the CPU fan with a Coolermaster DP5-7JD.  Those have
> gotten scarce, although ZipZoomFly still carries them.  NewEgg carries
> the previously mentioned Speeze WhisperRock II and the Tr2tt TR2M1
> looks promising as well.  Tr2tt makes the same unit without lights
> (Tr2M3) but I haven't found anyone that carries it.
>
> 4)  Put in 2 quiet case 80mm fans using rubber fan mounts, see:
> http://www.directron.com/sil.html and
> http://www.directron.com/fanfasteners.html.  The Enermax 80mm fans that
> NewEgg carries are even more economical, especially if you buy them in
> quantity.  Better still, choose a case that let's you put in bigger
> fan(s) such as a 92mm or even a 120mm..

No new case, this was enough work until now :-)

The case is not the problem, I've taken a case from a stereo receiver and
so I can built into it everything I like. I've enough place in it!

But its also a little bit a problem, its this one:
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=27801&item=3818668955&rd=1
and not a normal PC-case!
You can everything from this case so I think that I need a passive cooling
system.

> 5)  Replaced the hard drive with a Seagate and turned set the acoustic
> management to quiet using an hdparm command in rc.local.

There is no hard drive in it.

cu mIke

--
"Die Realität begrenzt mich in meinem Recht auf freie Entfaltung!"