[mythtv-users] passive Cooling

Andy Long aslong at uark.edu
Sat Jun 5 18:30:20 EDT 2004

Passive cooling?  On an AMD?  Not likely.

I would suggest switching to one of AMD's mobile Athlon processors.  You
still get good performance, but they use less power and run a lot cooler.
They cost about $10 more than a non-mobile version running at the same
speed.

Also, don't use the stock heatsink/fan.  Instead, get a quiet Heatsink/Fan
from the aftermarket.  I would suggest anything made by Zalman.  If your
budget is tight, you could also get the Speeze WhisperRock II.  It can be
had on newegg.com for under $15 (counting shipping).

Remember, the bigger a fan is, the quieter it will be.  Big fans can move
the same amount of air as a small fan, but at a lower RPM (thus, less
whine).