[mythtv-users] MPEG-4 Decoder hardware

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Sat Jun 5 18:08:40 EDT 2004

> Is there any known MPEG-4 decoder hardware that works with MythTV?  I'm
> looking to build a frontend utilizing and old PIII-450 and my main
> backend has a WinTV card that I record in RTJPEG on and transcode much
> of it to MPEG-4 for storage.  I also have a large number of Videos that
> I have encoded as MPEG-4 and I'd love to have a frontend that could play
> this back using my existing hardware.   I've come across some boards
> from Sigma Designs but didn't see much in the way of Linux support nor
> could I tell that if it did have Linux drivers if those would be enough
> to work with MythTV or if something more was necessary.
>
> Thanks,
> Kevin

I use a Celeron 466 as my main frontend and have no problems playing
mpeg-4 .nuv files and mpeg2 files from MythTV and have no problems playing
.avi mpeg-4 files from other sources either.  Make sure whatever video
card you have in the machine can use the Xv output so scaling can be
done in hardware and that P3-450 should be able to play mpeg-4 fine.

--

Chris