[mythtv-users] Using the PVR350 tuner.

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Sat Jun 5 14:12:31 EDT 2004

On Jun 5, 2004, at 10:12, Don Brown wrote:

> I'm a linux and myth noobie, but I'm starting to get the hang of this
> myth
> stuff.
>
> I have a PVR350, hooked up to a cable box via coax connector, on a PC
> i'm
> using for both front and back-end processing.
>
> I would like to cut out the cable box and simply use the tuner in the
> PVR350.  Is this possible?  Is this desirable?  An I poking myself in
> the
> eye for future expanability?
>
> I normally run my non-myth setup without it - I simply hook up the
> incoming
> cable to tbe back of the VCR and use the VCR's tuner to change
> channels.  I
> have so pay-per-view, etc, so there is nothing encrypted.
>
> I can get live tv if I run the signal through the cablebox and use the
> cablebox's channel changing abilites, but it's slow to change channels
> and I
> do not have a IR blaster right now.  If I don't need it, I'd like to
> avoid
> it.
>
> Any ideas, concerns, etc.

Works for me. You just won't be able to get channels above 99. Of my
three cards in production, only the third card defined in the system is
hooked to a cable box, because almost everything I want to watch and/or
record is on 1-99, so like you said, just avoid the complexity. My
third card actually has both a direct tuner input and composite input
from the cable box, with two different channel sources defined, one for
1-99, served by the tuner input, one for the high channels, served by
the composite input. You can do the same if you find that you do want
some of those high channels piped through the box after all. You still
get the faster channel changes on 1-99, but can also record high
channels if occasion comes up that you want to do so (never has for me,
I just hooked it up to try it out).

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...