[mythtv-users] Can't cope with crowds or loud noise! PLEASE HELP

rowan crane aovi72 at dsl.pipex.com
Fri Jun 4 16:51:38 EDT 2004

Hi all

Have got Myth running fine in the uk - i have listings with content and
categories down to the peeps on this list. I do however have one last problem.

Live TV or recordings from my PVR 250 don't seem to suffer loud sound - in the
form of multiple people talking loudly / shouting, crowds cheering in sport or
mixed music and dialogue - these all cause the sound to crackle - the crackle
then passes as soon as the peak in sound does. This is of course currently
keeping the unit out of the living room.

This almost seems like when the sound is pushed too high - it distorts, i have
tried fiddling with AlsaMixer but have not had much luck. As the sound is
coming through oss on dev/dsp would it even be affected by this, or do i need
to change the sound levels / settings elsewhere. I think the problem is
between myth and the PVR250 rather than my speaker set as if i play DVDs i can
pump the sound up many notches further with no crackling whatsoever.

Are there any obvious settings i can check ? i would be incredibly greatful to
anyone who can help.

TIA
RC

FC1