[mythtv-users] RE: Scientific Atlanta 3250 - Anyone get this to

Steven Rubano srubano at ccap.net
Fri Jun 4 12:32:07 EDT 2004

>Original post:

>Searching old posts, there appears to be a well documented problem with

>the sa3250 Digital Cable set top box that Time Warner (and others?) are

>using. Has anyone got this to work with LIRC using a ir blaster?

>SNIP<

I have the SA4200 from Cablevision and I am able to control the box using a
simple IR transmitter diode that I took out of an old remote, a diode and a
DB9 serial connector connected to the back of my MyTH box. LiRC is using the
SA2000 to control it and all is fine. I did however had to setup two
instances of LiRC to work since I am using the Hauppauge grey remote, I need
to load two separate drivers for the two different devices. If you have both
Transmitter and Receiver on one serial port then you can get away with
running one instance.

I did have some problems trying to get Myth to change the channels on my box
but I was able to clear them up as follows:

1.	I used an IR transmitter from a remote rather than buying one of the
Radio Shack ones. The Radio Shack ones weren't "as powerful".
2.	Created a script named change_channel.sh (or csh, not near my MyTH
box at the moment)
3.	Putting the name of the script to run in the configuration of MyTH
to tell it to use that to change the channels.
4.

You can also use the script at a command line and a channel number to test
and see if it is changing the channel..if it is then MyThTV isn't configured
properly.

Steve

individual(s) named. If you are not the named addressee you should not
this e-mail from your system. The sender does not accept liability for any
errors or omissions in the content of this message.