[mythtv-users] Do I understand MythTV correctly?

Bill Chmura Bill at Explosivo.com
Fri Jun 4 11:17:17 EDT 2004

See wisdom inserted randomly below...

On Friday 04 June 2004 11:00 am, Dan Boger wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 04, 2004 at 10:39:29AM -0400, lawrence.mandel at utoronto.ca wrote:
> > So I've been reading through the MythTV manual and users mailing list
> > and if I understand what I can do with MythTV I'm amazed.
>
> It is pretty cool :)

Way cool

> > Let me setup the scenario I have in mind.
> >
> > I can setup a MythTV backend on a P4, 2GHz, 512 Megs, and large HDD
> > with two Hauppauge 250 cards (no sound card?). One card will be
> > connected to a digital cable box and the other to regular cable. The
> > one connected to the digital cable box can be configured (with some
> > sort of IR device) to control the cable box. I can then setup one or
> > more frontends on other machines (Hauppauge 350 card and SB live with
> > 5.1 surround) and connect via ethernet to the backend. The frontends
> > will have full functionality and be able to view recorded programs and
> > live tv (by selecting the source from the backend.)
> >
> > Is this right? Can MythTV do all of this?
>
> Yup.  And no sound card needed on the backend - since you're just
> recording there, and not actually playing sounds.
>
> > If so I have a few questions.
> >
> > 1. What would you recommend to use for the backend machine? I would
> >    guess a P4, 2GHz, 512 Megs, large (>100Gig) HDD and two Hauppauge
> >    250 cards will work. Should/can I use a more/less powerful machine?
> >    Do I need half a gig of ram?
>
> The RAM might be useful.  As for CPU, you can go a lot lower.  Since
> you're planning on using 250s for the encoding, it's done in hardware,
> so the CPU will be mostly idle.  As for disk space, I've 0.5T NFS
> partition set up, and it's full :)  So more is always better!

This HD space can be figured out by what you desire.  For example, I record
everything at 720xYYY so I can burn to DVD without resizing.  I figure on
about 1 gig per half hour of programming.  So my 160Gig drive will hold 80
hours of programming.  If you want more, then get a bigger drive, or less if
you don't want to record much.  It can pile up fast though.  Especially if
you are a collector (I cried when I finally deleted all my MXC episodes to
free up space for the memorial day weekend war movie bonanza)

> > 2. At what point should I look at adding a slave backend machine
> >    rather then upgrading the single backend machine?
>
> Probably when you run out of PCI slots.  Though I heard talk of hitting
> the limit of how fast the IO system can handle the data as well.  I did
> read of people who had 4 (5?) tuners in one backend.
>
> > 3. Has anyone connected the frontends wirelessly to the backend? Does
> >    802.11b work ok or do I need to use 802.11g?
>
> I've heard it done - I'm not using wireless myself.
>
> > 4. This is the where do people recommend going for hardware question.
> >    I want my frontends to look cool (not a crappy beige box.) Anyone
> >    know of a good computer shell shop? Preferably something thin. How
> >    about a good shop for purchasing the rest of the hardware I need?
>
> Sorry, no clue.

Take an old VCR and case mod it!  :)

> > 5. Finally, from what I've read it's safest to use Hauppauge 250 and
> >    350 cards but they do cost more then other cards. Can anyone
> >    recommend other TV input and TV output (with COAX connection)
> >    cards? I don't want to sacrifice audio and video using MythTV.
>
> I believe the x50s will give you the best video quality, but getting
> them to work right might take some effort.  I've no problems anymore
> with my 350 (backend/frontend), since I started using the ivtv binary X
> driver.

Are you doing everything directed to the TV (guide, etc) with no problems?  I
had big problems with that, but could give it another try if the new drivers
work good...  What is the ivtv binary x driver anyway?

--

Bill Chmura

w. http://www.fistfullofcode.com
w. http://www.explosivo.com

Without good motivation, science and technology, instead of helping, bring
more fear and threaten global destruction. Compassionate thought is very
important for humankind.
-His Holiness the Dalai Lama

Wisdom does not mean knowledge but experiential understanding. Wisdom helps
you to change radically your habits and perceptions, as you discover the
constantly changing, interconnected nature of the whole of existence.
-Martine Batchelor, "Meditation For Life"