[mythtv-users] A few starting-out questions.

Matt Morgan matt at jiffycomp.com
Wed Jun 2 21:45:57 EDT 2004

Bryan Brannigan wrote:

>>[snip] If
>>I change the channel on the tuner card, does it magically
>>change the channel on the cable box, too? What if I'm not
>>there--does the cable box have to be set to the right channel
>>ahead of time? That's what I have to do now, with a VCR for example.
>>I don't understand how mythtv can change that. Can it?
>>

>You will need one of two things to control your cable box.  Some cable boxes
>support being controled via a serial cable.  Others can be controled by
>using an IR blaster.  You'll have to do some research in to your particular
>box.

Cool! That makes a lot of sense. I had heard of the IR Blaster but
totally misunderstood what it's for.

>>3) In shopping for a computer [snip] Hopefully I can
>>use the built-in sound; and if necessary I can use a
>>Hauppauge pvr-350, which gives me video-in and video-out in
>>one card. Is there anything I'm forgetting?
>>

>Possibly networking if it's not onboard.

Right, thanks. Fortunately most of the SFF computers I'm looking at were
designed for the corporate market and have ethernet built-in. Actually
it turns out that lots of the compaq models (some deskpro EN's, some
Evos) have 3 PCI slots (although they rarely have AGP).