[mythtv-users] prebuilt pvrs for developers benefit?

Jeff jeff at intersystems.com
Wed Jun 2 08:28:42 EDT 2004

Monday, May 3, 2004, 7:52:56 PM, Chris Petersen wrote:

>> The hardware is cheap you can get mini box for 150 cpu for 50 memory 50 and
>> nice tv card from 20  to 200. hard drive 120GB is 70

> $500 isn't cheap.  Heck, $300 isn't cheap, especially with cable
> providers starting to offer DVR's with their digital cable packages
> (Tivo is only as popular as it is because it's part of DirecTV - look at
> how much worse off ReplayTV is).

>> Now with tivo you are limited to what you can record and you have pay fee to
>> get programing  liftime is 299 for one unit so when you upgrade your tivo
>> you have to pay another 299.

> Can't argue with this.

> BTW, not sure if people keep up on this stuff, but Moxie is seemingly
> finally coming to market...  http://www.digeo.com/ - it's a
> client-server system, just like myth (although not quite as powerful, I
> think the number of clients is limited), and has some MASSIVE financial
> backing (Paul Allen, if I recall correctly), which explains how they're
> still around about 2 years after announcing their product.  Anyway, this
> is what you'd have to compete against, not Tivo.  No pricing on the
> system itself, but it says that an extra client box will cost $79.
> That's dirt cheap.

There is a project to make the MediaMVP work as a frontend for
a MythTV backend. This would give you about a $79 client for Myth.
I suspect it would also reduce the costs of the backend box as
it could be much more generic without the video demands of a frontend.
Currently it seems that the MVP can play files recorded by MythTV
but the full MythTV frontend doesn't work very well.