[mythtv-users] /sbin/modprobe tveeprom Problems PVR250

Stephen Tait tait at digitallaw.co.uk
Tue Jun 1 04:37:53 EDT 2004

Can't help you with the tveprom I'm afraid, but I had a similar issue with
my channels all being "snow" until I found my channel settings were b0rked
and I had to set them manually.

>I have tried setting tuner type to 20 as I am in the UK (at a guess) and
>get the
>following.
>
>I can capture what is essentially snow (like an untuned channel) but this
>has no
>sound. Trying the suggestion for what to do if you have no sound returned has
>made no difference. On an ordinary television you'd expect to hear the
>'static'
>but am not sure whether i should be hearing anything, or indeed should be
>getting a channel with proper sound here.

I tracked then sound not working was due to me failing to load a module in
my module loader (/etc/modules.d/ivtv-or-something for gentoo), FWIW my
module loader looks like this:

alias char-major-81     videodev
alias char-major-81-0   ivtv
alias char-major-61 lirc_i2c
options ivtv debug=0 mpg_buffers=30 ivtv_pal=1
options tuner type=1
options saa7127 pal=1 enable_output=1 output_select=0
add below ivtv msp3400 saa7115 saa7127 tuner
add above ivtv lirc_dev lirc_i2c
#post-install ivtv /usr/bin/test_ioctl -u 0xff -p 4 -f width=640,height=480

(I can't seem to get the post-install line to work, YMMV but I have to run
it as a shell script on boot but if you manage to get snow I imagine you've
already figured out the correct params for test_ioctl)

IIRC the errant module was saa7115. Don't know if this is mentioned in
Jarods guide (never seen it, damn you BT!), but it wasn't in any of the
US-centric howto's I did see.

If you can pull up MythWeb or you have PHPMyAdmin (or SQL skillz on the
shell) you'll want to edit your channel table to look something like this:

Channel number should be set to the number you want the channel to appear
at - e.g. 1 for BBC1, 3 for ITV, etc etc. Names go in the "names" field.
The important one is "freqid" which corresponds to the the channel number
that ptune.pl uses (numbers for 1 to 127). There's probably a nice table of
all these channels somewhere (I know I've seen one, just can't find it
again), you may want to just try trial and error (or, if you dual boot, you
can probably grab these numbers out of the hauppauge software). FYI, mine are:

BBC1    26
BBC2    33
ITV     23
Ch4     30
5       37

I'm in the London area. If you are elsewhere, you're going to want to track
these numbers down either by surferating the web or trial and error (I did
a quick and dirty bash script which cycled through all 127 channels and
captured 8 seconds of video to xx.mpeg, so I just played them all back to
see which channels got a result). Then after input from the Myth list I
plugged them into my DB, and viola it's been up and running ever since.

I am also running a PVR-250. I'm unsure of the rev but once I was over the
teething problems of getting Myth and ivtv to play ball, it's been solid.
I'm still busy collating a complete walkthrough from installation basics to
getting Myth up and running for the benefit of other users, a la Jarod's
guide but more gentoo-UK-centric.

Hope this helps.