[mythtv-users] screen resolutions - am confused about the basics

Ian Armstrong mail01 at iarmst.co.uk
Fri Jul 30 08:04:57 EDT 2004

On Thursday 29 Jul 2004 16:00, Craig Tinson wrote:
> I have a sanya 28" tv.. it's a widescreen.. but whenever I play a
> widescreen movie.. in mplayer for example.. I still get black bands at
> the top and bottom...
>
> I think I've figured out the problem.. but not sure how to fix it.. I
> have a Radeon 9200SE thats running at 800x600
>
> Am I right in thinking that I need to change the resolution so that it's
> 16:9 "shaped"? if so.. how'd I do it.. I only know about the regular
> resolutions.. 640,800,1024 etc etc.. and which resolution would I go for?

You don't really need to play with the resolution. All you should need to do
is ensure DisplaySize in the X config is set to a 16:9 size. For example, in
the Monitor section of xorg.conf I use 'DisplaySize 300 170'. It's not quite
right, but it's close enough.

Although MythTV & xine honour the size, mplayer seems to ignore it, so you
need to run it with the command line option '-monitoraspect 16:9' Not ideal
if, like me, you have both 4:3 & 16:9 displays connected & move between them.

--
Ian