[mythtv-users] OT: IR LED testing...

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Fri Jul 30 01:53:05 EDT 2004

Not sure if this has ever been covered on the list, but since I just
finished my IR transmitter circuit (simple one), and it was on my mind,
I thought I'd mention it.

For those of you who want to test that your IR LED works (to rule out a
bad control script/etc), pretty much any digital camera can "see" IR
light.  Just point your camera at the light while it's blinking, and you
should see it show up as white light on the camera's screen.  Even
better if you have a nice Sony camera with the IR nightshot mode (just
make sure to cover up the IR LED's on the camera itself -- they're
really bright).

And on that note, I will now wait patiently until tomorrow evening when
I will actually be able to USE this nifty gadget on my new Dish
receiver.  Looking forward to a better picture so I can feel better
about archiving to dvd.

-Chris

PS.  If anyone has working circuit board plans for the more complex,
amplified circuit (not just the diagram), please let me know, since I'd
eventually like to build one and I can't seem to find one on the lirc
website.