[mythtv-users] Non-OTA ATSC HD Capture

Brandon Beattie brandon+myth at linuxis.us
Thu Jul 29 12:00:04 EDT 2004

> There are a lot of posts (heated topic), but in total, they explain why
> you won't be able to capture cable/satellite HDTV now (not to mention
> why you won't even be able to capture OTA HDTV after July 1, 2005).
> Actually, you should be able to capture either--even after July 1,
> 2005--but at a maximum quality of 480p.  Basically, you'll get
> DVD-quality TV instead of HDTV...
>
> Mike

Not true.  The July 1st date is for _Selling_ hardware that does not
support HDCP protection.  You can capture HDTV and ignore the copy right
bit all you want with current hardware.  Most HDTV set top boxes don't
support HDCP and making people go out any buy a new set top box would
make too many people unhappy.

EFF is starting a movement to fight HDCP and is supporting cards like
the pcHDTV HD2000 card.  This card just ignores any copy right bit and
gives you the data without any limitation.  You can use these cards
forever in the future, but it will be illegal to sell them after July
1st 2005.  So before that date comes, and if the EFF hasn't made any
advancement in keeping HDTV tuner cards legal, consider getting a HDTV
card before you can't buy them.  One way people may be able to sell HDTV
tuner cards for a computer is to not allow showing more than a 480P
stream, or taking 720P/1080i streams and real-time transcoding them
(This won't be cheap/easy to do in hardware) down to 480P.

For a device to support HDCP you have to guarantee that at no point can
the data be captures "as is" in HDTV format and be moved off of the
device.  This is very hard to do with a computer as if the data touches
the PCI bus you can get to it.  HDTV Tivo's will be interesting to see
if they support HDCP as if you can hack into the Tivo easily and get to
the data it won't be HDCP certified and will be illegal to sell.  I'm
sure several HDCP boxes will get the sticker and will still be breakable
and people will get to the content.  I'm not sure what the FCC will do
if this happens.  But, this is why HDTV on a computer and with Myth may
be limited to only those who bought the cards when they are/were still
legal.

--Brandon