[mythtv-users] IRBlaster Progress; more questions

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Jul 27 22:27:29 EDT 2004

Matt Morgan wrote:

> I think whenever I ran channel_change.sh, remoted crashed! Because
> when I looked for it with ps ax|grep remoted, it was never there.
>
> What's interesting, and I think is progress, is that when I commented
> those lines in /etc/init.d/local, but ran them from an xterm,
> channel_change.sh started working (I think--but I have a Scientific
> Atlanta 2100, which I see now is kind of a problem child). At least, I
> got no errors and I could see the LED's on the IR Blaster flashing.

I had problems with the lircd daemon segfaulting when a client (like
irsend) tried to connect to the socket.  I think (don't remember) it had
to do with having LIRC compiled incorrectly for the drivers I was
using.  I was trying to get LIRC to work with a serial transmitter
(lirc_serial) and an ATI remote wonder (lirc_atiusb) and was messing
with trying to get one binary for both (never succeeded :).  I don't
remember exactly what it was--it was long ago (a few weeks--which isn't
that much time--but was a lot of LIRC problems ago :).

Also, does your "remote" device exist, and is it properly configured?
It should be character device owned by root.root with 644 permissions
(crw-r--r--) (or more) and have a char major number of 72 and char minor
of 0.  I.e. if you run:
    ls -al /dev/remote
you should see something like:
    crw-r--r--  1 root root 72, 0 Jul 18 01:49 /dev/remote
but with different date/time.  As you'll notice, for me, the solution
was a lot of late nights...  ;)

> So I think I'm having the issue where remoted can't connect to the X
> socket, as in

> because when it starts that X socket is not there, or different from
> the one that's running after mythtv logs in and everything starts up.
> Can I fix this somehow? Unforunately, in the above posting the
> discussion was not carried through to a solution.

Actually, when you're running from the command line, you're not using
"irxevent"--which is used to create an "X Windows event" when an IR
signal is received.  The program irxevent needs X to be running so it
can send the X event to the X server.  LIRC itself (and irrecord and
irsend and irw) do not need X.

HTH.

Mike