[mythtv-users] No sound in MythTV

Marc-David Meijer mythtv at xiz.demon.nl
Tue Jul 27 04:20:02 EDT 2004

Hi,

I had exactly the same problem with saa7134 card, it works in everything,
except for myth. I also connected my card to the aux connector.

I found that MythTV does some changes in the volume and mute settings when
the frontend is started. When I adjust the sound settings after frontend has
started (with test_ioctl and alsamixer), everything works fine.

I didn't find a real solution, but I do have a workaround. I wrote a simple
script that is executed at the same time the frontend is started (I'm using
KnoppMyth, I modified .fvwm2c to start the script).

root at mythtv:/home/mythtv# cat soundon
#! /bin/bash
echo sleeping for 5 secs...
sleep 5
echo setting sound settings...
echo 1/3 tvcard volume:
/usr/local/bin/test_ioctl -y volume=60000
echo 2/3 tvcard mute off:
/usr/local/bin/test_ioctl -y mute=0
echo 3/3 soundcard Aux Capture on:
/usr/bin/amixer sset Aux,0 80%,80% mute cap
echo done!

That's it. It starts with a 5 second sleep, to make sure the commands are
executed after MythFrontend has started, and then continues to set the
volume for the tvcard. The second step turns mute for the tvcard off,
somehow Mythtv sets it to 1 on startup.
The last step is to make sure the volume and capture settings are correct
for the soundcard.

This solution is far from perfect, and I'm sure other people have better
solutions (especially people with more Linux knowhow), but it works for me.

Regards,
Marc-David

P.S. If this works for you, could you let me know if you have stereo sound?
I have stereo sound for the first second or so of the recording, then it
goes to mono sound from the left speaker only.