[mythtv-users] OT: Remote Control Suggestions

pete stagman tyrstag at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 26 12:48:29 EDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-07-26 at 12:18, Geoff at Hundekeandroyal dot com wrote:
> I'm looking for some suggestions on the best remote to use with MythTV.
>
> I currently use the Hauppauge "Grey" remote, and it does an excellent
> job.  However, the Volume Up and Volume Down buttons also happen to be
> the "Scroll Right" and "Scroll Left" buttons.  I'd like to separate
> those.  You can probably see the problem I have when watching something
> and trying the turn the sound up or down (the Volume Up button is mapped
> to F10 (turn sound up) and Right Arrow (scroll right, skip ahead 30
> seconds)).
>
> I have the Lola X10 remote, but some how it stopped working for me.  I
> can't get the stupid thing to work again, but it wouldn't matter too
> much.  I hate the balance of it in your hand.  It just feels awkward.
>
> So, my ideal remote would have scrolling arrows AND separate Volume Up
> and Volume Down buttons.  It would also be a "learning" remote so I
> could turn the TV on and off.  It would also need a good set of "DVD"
> control buttons, like Play, Record, Skip, FF, pause, etc...  It needs to
> look nice, feel good, and not be expensive.  I'm not daunted by too many
> buttons, so the more the better.
>
> And obviously, it needs to work with LIRC.
>
> What remote do you use...and do you love it?

Hi Geoff,

 I just picked up a One-For-All 8910 Universal remote
http://www.ofausa.com/remote.php?type=URC%208910 at BJ's Wholesale for
$25 U.S. it's the same remote as the RadioShack 15-2116 universal remote
that Jarod talks about in his page
http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/remotes.php just under the O-F-A brand name.

I followed the How-To guide almost exactly (the only exception was that
the guide says "hit up arrow 7 times" and it was actually 8 times, could
have been a miss count or the remote is very slightly different)and it
works great.

It works fine with my PVR-250 except I wish the control angle was
slightly better. It seems the PVR receiver is finicky if the remote is
not pointed right at it. I control other devices, CD, DVD, Amp,
Satellite (when I bypass my Myth box, trying to order a PPV movie with a
couple second delay sucks)  :)  from the same remote without problems.

--Pete