[mythtv-users] Wish-list and help offer

Mark Maas mark at menem.mine.nu
Mon Jul 26 08:33:58 EDT 2004

Steven wrote:

>> 2.) When ripped/copied to hard drive, the ability to burn it back to a
>> empty DVD again. This feature has been asked before but i'm going to
>> expand it's idea:
>>
>> Before ripping/copying, what about the choice of ripping to hard drive
>> or to empry disc. The disc beeing a DVD or an x-number of CDrom's
>> (VCD). Based on these choices different programs could be run by
>> mythtv to create either a VCD from a complete 9.7Gb DVD or a 5.4Gb DVD
>> (Also transcoded down to good size. Perhaps someone can download the
>> source code for the windows program "DVD Shrink" and get some idea's
>> there? (Trying to think like programmer here. Probably looking like a
>> noob in the process.. ;-)
>

> There are loads of linux programs around that do that. Just put them in
> your mythmenu and of you go (no coding needed for that, just some googling)

Ah, so I actually AM a noob. Now I know what to look for, Google may
display better results. Thanks!

>> 3.) Make the Recording profile, transcode thing, easier to understand
>> it's use and how to use it (Alway's a request never a demand, i'm not
>> all that great in english) Still finding out the correlation between
>> "Default, Live TV, High Quality, Low Quality" and "Recording Profiles"
>> and "Transcoders"
>>
> you have recording profiles where you can set recording settings
> (bitrate, res, ...) and you have transcoders where you can set how and
> if you want your files to be transcoded.

That's something I knew, from the controls I could see they are
related with the type of conversion and quality etc. Now for the
correlation between everything and how it works. An overview here to
explain it would be great.

Something for the Faq perhaps even?

Mark