[mythtv-users] DVB-T playback thru PVR, odd ff/rw problem

Oliver Gorwits oliver.gorwits at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Sat Jul 24 06:07:42 EDT 2004

Hi there,

I've hunted for a while in archives, and fiddled with software versions,
and am still stumped with this issue, so I come to you all for help...

Situation:
I've had a good, stable mythtv setup in the UK for about 6mths now,
using PVR-350 for record and playback just fine. I recently added a
Nova-T card and integrated that just fine, using Martin Smith's guide
(thx!). Playback of recordings from the PVR is good as ever. I can
playback Nova-T recordings just fine - no a/v sync problems.

Problem:
However, any ff/rw when playing back Nova-T recordings causes an a/v
pause followed by some HDD thrashing (whilst it seeks in the file I
assume) then play returns at the desired point. So ff/rw does work, just
not near-instantly like with the PVR recordings.

Furthermore, the on-screen time display describes Nova-T recordings as
(e.g.) "00:05:06 of 1862:44:12" - something clearly not right there!

And finally, playback and ff/rw work just fine on a remote mythfrontend
on my workstation upstairs (NVidia gfx card btw).

My thoughts so far:
Initially I suspected some GOP/mythcommflag issue preventing direct
seeking - but then discovered remote mythfrontend was okay. I do know
that streams from the PVR and Nova-T card are pulled in PS and TS format
respectively - some issue here perhaps, but again remote playback is
fine (and I think TS is converted to PS on saving anyway).

This leads me to suspect the PVR's ivtv-fb driver, but how can it affect
mythtv's seeking and estimation of recording length?! That doesn't make
sense to me. This is why I'm stumped!

Your suggestions are appreciated (WAF is at stake, here!).

regards,
oliver.