[mythtv-users] New Channels with DataDirect

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Jul 23 18:58:40 EDT 2004

Just wondering how others are dealing with new channels that TMS adds to
the DataDirect listings.  For example, I have Dish Network - Orlando but
am only subscribing to the local stations and superstations.  That gives
me a total of 12 channels (not including the "How to use your Dish
Remote Control" channel and such) that I'm interested in using.

DataDirect is adding new channels at an alarming rate--since I signed up
in March, they've added hundreds of new channels--one or two at a time
(they also treat changing a channel name as adding a new channel).
Currently, their web site does not allow users to set a preference for
dealing with new channels:  they are automatically added to lineups.  To
remove them from lineups, I have to go to the website and unselect the
new channels.  I can live with this--especially since they have said
they plan to add a "new channel handling" preference.  (Hope springs
eternal.)

Unfortunately, though, that means Myth keeps getting channels that I
don't want--and haven't paid for.  The new channels are shown in the
EPG/channel listings.  For example, today I got three new channels,
Horse Racing TV (HRTV), Mabuhay TV, and Kuwait TV--which I wouldn't
include even if my subscription package included them.  Since they're
not available with my subscription, they're just annoying.  If they
happened to be channels that actually carried shows I'm interested in
viewing, it could be a problem if the scheduler tried to record from one
of these instead of the ones I can receive.

So, how can I get rid of the channels?  Is there any way other than
using Myth's setup program and deleting all channel/program information
(which then requires re-running mythfilldatabase)?  This seems like a
colossal waste of time/effort/bandwidth.

Is there some way to tell the datadirect grabber to ignore all channels
except a "pre-approved" list?

Is it time I make a patch?

Thanks,
Mike