[mythtv-users] controlling a dishnetwork receiver

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Fri Jul 23 04:03:44 EDT 2004

> Ooops, scrolled down and found out that there's also an amplified one on
> that page...

Yeah, that was the one I had trouble understanding.  Gives ranges for
resistor sizes, which worries me.  I know what each of the individual
pieces does, but don't ask me to understand how they work as a whole, or
pick out a correct value for any of the individual pieces.

> Definitely a valid concern.  Blowing up a $50-$150 motherboard with
> ~$0.30 worth of parts (for the simple, non-amplified, transmitter) would
> definitely be disconcerting...

Yup.  No killing my pundit.  Though like you said, the simple one
probably isn't much of a concern.  I also found this:

http://www.turbobit.com/product.php

But from the look of things, the transmitter part of it is just the
simple transmitter rather than the amplified/buffered one.  He also has
a bunch of lirc+dishnetwork info on the site, which might come in handy.

> Yeah.  It took much more configuration than using the atiusb kernel
> module, but I liked the capability to configure all my programs'
> interaction with the remote using a single configuration file (instead
> of remapping shortcut keys in a bunch of programs so that they all agree
> on the meaning of some key).

Well, I'd LOVE to get the lirc stuff working (esp. if I'll need it for
Dish), since I agree with the "one config file" thing.  Any info you can
send me (probably off-list, as this has gotten rather offtopic) would be
appreciated.

> Also, a lot of people using atiusb seem to
> use xmodmap to remap keys, and I want my (real) keyboard to continue
> working as expected.

Ah.  I was just told to edit the source if I wanted to change key
mappings.  Almost easier than xmodmap, and doesn't mess with the keyboard.

> I'm pretty sure that's a configuration problem (if we're still talking
> IR compatibility).  My remote uses a 58KHz signal (instead of the 40KHz
> used by most of the remotes that LIRC supports), but works great with LIRC.

Ah.  That kinda makes sense.  As long as it's something that can be
corrected with a config file, I'm fine with that.

> So the dual-tuner receiver might actually work for you.  You could use
> the "blue" (RF-controlled) tuner with the direct-to-TV connection and
> the "green" (IR-controlled) tuner with Myth.  That means that Myth could
> use either the composite or S-Video output, and your direct-to-TV tuner
> would use composite.

Exactly.  And with a dual-tuner receiver in my office, I can also turn
my workstation into a part-time backend, too.  In case I absolutely need
to record two shows at the same time (which hasn't ever been an issue,
since all of the cable networks seem to rebroadcast everything worth
watching, so if there is a conflict, at least one of the shows will
probably be on again a couple hours later)

-Chris