[mythtv-users] Having trouble with remote frontend encoder

Maarten van den Berg mythtv at ultratux.org
Thu Jul 22 05:01:24 EDT 2004

On Thursday 22 July 2004 04:42, Aleaxander wrote:

> I tried clearing my capture card settings using $mythtvsetup on the
> backend, specifying the backend capture card there first, then running
> $mythtvsetup again on the remote frontend and specifying the other card
> there, but I'm still getting the same problem.

Frontends don't encode.  Backends encode, hence have encoder cards...

> I'm thinking this may have something to do with the Network settings,
> specifically the fact that my backend server is set at
> localhost.localdomain.  However, chainging this setting appears to
> involve a lot of changes to the mythconverg database.

Lot of changes or not, you will _have_ to change that. Localhost.localdomain
is the local loopback address, you cannot network anything while it is
referenced by that name.  You WILL need to change it.

> Any ideas how to debug this problem?  Is there something I'm just
> missing on how to get a second encoder card working on my remote frontend?

It is a BACKend when it sports an encoder.  But another thing; are you telling
us that you have a working remote frontend ?  That can connect to the backend
and display shows from it ??  Cause that would seem to be impossible, seen as
that would also need a working network connection...

Good luck
Maarten