[mythtv-users] nuv + transcode/mplayer ?

rick schultz rick.schultz at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 23:03:24 EDT 2004

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 09:52:40 -0700, Chris Petersen
<lists at forevermore.net> wrote:
> Anyone know if transcode and/or mplayer have been updated to support the
> latest mythtv changes to nuv?   I haven't tried either in a long time,
> and am hoping that by now someone has updated them.

I tried the old patch
(http://dijkstra.csh.rit.edu:8088/~mdz/mythtv/mplayer-0.90rc5-mythtv-20030407.diff)
against both MPlayer-1.0pre4 and cvs a couple weeks ago, and didn't
get very far with either.  I got the CVS version to start playing
video (a few seconds maybe), then it consistently segfaults.  gdb says
it's in the middle of some mmx (was it mmx2?) assembly when it
happens, and I didn't get any further than that.  This was against
MPEG-4 software-encoded .nuv's.

Is somebody working on this?  Do the mplayer folks want information,
or just patches?

Personally, I just want to archive some of the stuff I've got - it's
getting awfully crowded. Ideally, I just want to move things from TV
to Video.  The problem is, I've encoded in MPEG-4, and the bit rate is
just about as low as I want it to get - so I don't need to transcode,
just export.  nuvexport re-encoding to divx just multiplies the mpeg
artifacts, even at high bitrates.  I gather the shortest path between
what I've got and where I want to be is to get mplayer to play the
nuv's directly (which should also allow mencoder to repackage the
contained MPEG-4/MP3 streams into an avi, playable "anywhere",
right?).  Is there another way I'm overlooking?

-rick