[mythtv-users] HDTV: channel num versus program id

Brandon Beattie brandon+myth at linuxis.us
Tue Jul 20 18:15:08 EDT 2004

On Mon, Jul 19, 2004 at 09:09:29PM -0600, John Patrick Poet wrote:
> Brandon Beattie wrote:
>
> >Your on the right track, but to save confusions...   As far as I can
> >know Myth assumes x-y name with y being the subchannel is based on
> >how many programs there are, and in what order, and Not the actual
> >program ID number.  An example is allmost all my stations (13 total)
> >have their first "Program ID" as 2 and I watch these all as x-1.  What
> >you're confusing is the order vs the program ID.  Right now Myth does
> >Not look at the program ID in the data to determine which subchannel it
> >should be recording.  What Myth assumes is x-1 is subchannel 1, x-2 is
> >subchannel 2, x-3 is subchannel 3 in that y is the data stream available
> >in the HDTV stream.  Myth never checks for the program data. Example
> >time.
> >
> >Here is the output frmo my WB station
> >
> >Stream contains 5 valid program(s).
> >   Program 59: 99-50 STARZ:
> >       Video (MPEG-2), language = eng
> >       Audio (Dolby AC-3), language = eng
> >       Audio (Dolby AC-3), language = spa
> >   Program 21: 99-12 FNC:
> >       Video (MPEG-2), language = eng
> >       Audio (Dolby AC-3), language = eng
> >   Program 19: 99-10 LIFE:
> >       Video (MPEG-2), language = eng
> >       Audio (Dolby AC-3), language = eng
> >   Program 14: 99-5 TOON:
> >       Video (MPEG-2), language = eng
> >       Audio (Dolby AC-3), language = eng
> >       Audio (Dolby AC-3), language = spa
> >       Unknown (0x0b)
> >       Unknown (0x0b)
> >   Program 2: 30-1 KUWB-DT:
> >       Video (MPEG-2), language = eng
> >       Audio (Dolby AC-3), language = eng
> >Stream contains 5 valid program(s).
> >
> >All that ugly USDTV garbage.. (As a note, only 4 stations of 13 didn't
> >have USDTV on them.. Thank goodness myth does not save all subchannels
> >anymore... It only saves the one you ask for.)
> >
> >To get KUWB-DT which is Program ID 2, I must use 30-5 as the freqid in
> >Myth's channel settings.  (305 is the station number I gave it as my
> >remote doesn't have a - or . key. :) So I have the channels 21, 41, 42
> >51 52 71 72 73 91 111 112 113 114 115 131 132 141 164 305) Notice 164
> >and 305 don't have a 161 or 301?  Most stations don't do dumb things
> >like UPN and WB appear to be doing.  Channel 11 for instance has their
> >program ID's go from 2-6, but that should just be ignored for all I can
> >tell.  Theyir channels/program listings are for 1-5, and 2-6 match up in
> >the 1-5 slots so you'll never notice the ID's are 2-6
> >
> >Stream contains 5 valid program(s).
> >   Program 1: 11-1 KBYU-HD:
> >       Video (MPEG-2)
> >       Audio (Dolby AC-3), language = eng
> >   Program 2: 11-2 KBYU-SD:
> >       Video (MPEG-2)
> >       Audio (Dolby AC-3), language = eng
> >       Audio (Dolby AC-3), language = spa
> >       Audio (Dolby AC-3), language = fre
> >   Program 3: 11-3 BYU-TV:
> >       Video (MPEG-2)
> >       Audio (Dolby AC-3), language = eng
> >       Audio (Dolby AC-3), language = spa
> >   Program 4: 11-4 KBYUkid:
> [...]

I believe I am completely mistaken.  You appear to be correct after I
reviewed more recordings.  Sorry for all the dis-information regarding
program ID<->subchannel slot.  I ran a couple quick tests and it just so
happened that content was identical between a -2 and -5 slot on program
id 2 that I tested. To help clear things up, I made a new section in the
myth docs regarding how to correctly configure myth based on program ID,
not slot.  I just submitted it to the dev list so hopefully people will
read that and not my incorrect e-mail in the future. :)

So far today, using program ID to go by, everything is recording
correcting...  Hopefully channels with not change program ID's like
they're changing subchannel locations.  To note again, program ID 1 is
suppost to be the main HDTV stream for the channel, and thus why many
stations are broadcasting only program id 2 in standard definition.

--Brandon