[mythtv-users] Vyond media server

Richard Mixon (qwest) rnmixon at qwest.net
Mon Jul 19 17:57:51 EDT 2004

mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Jul 2004, Eric Joe wrote:
>
>> Thats an interesting website. I think $900 is a bit inflated. You
>> can buy a Tivo with lifetime subscription for $650. I cant speak for
>> anyone else on the list, but I think that most of the fun in having
>> a Myth Box is building/tweaking.
>
> True and true.
>
> Leaving aside whatever setting up Linux/Myth is worth, you
> can handily put
> together a much better box specwise for about $5-600 with retail part
> prices, at least if you're willing to take a simpler case,
> like say the
> H400.
>
> Still, even now, let alone as Myth gains polish, I guess I
> could imagine
> less technical users paying a premium for it as a "high end"
> PVR system.

I aggree. If the parts are retail $600 and they are only asking $900,
that is not unreasonable. Gee, at that price I would hope they are able
to stay in business.

As far as the part on the lifetime Tivo subscription, that is only for
the lifetime of the Tivo box, not your lifetime. So, if the Tivo fails
one day after your warranty is up you are probably SOOL as I cannot
imagine standard non-warranty repair is readily or cheaply availble for
a Tivo. Now, you can probably get an extended warranty and be a little
safer - they do have some sort of provision for changing the
subscription to a new Tivo ID# if it fails under warranty and you have
to be given a new Tivo box.

Still, the idea of being able to use Zap2It for free (other than
completing the survey every 3 months) is appealing. To tell the truth, I
would not mind paying $2-$4 a month for listings, but $13 is way too
much.

 - Richard