[mythtv-users] Nova-T Tuning instability

Mark Howells Mark.Howells at softoption.com
Mon Jul 19 05:00:16 EDT 2004

After I change channels using mythtv, I often get TS continuity errors from my Nova-T.  This only happens under mythtv, and only when I use mythtv to change the channels.  If I tune the card usiong tzap and then start mythbackend / frontend and watch liveTV then all is well.  Similarly, if I exit liveTV and then re-enter it, I generally get a good stream.

Strangely (or at least, strangely to me...) femon confirms a high BER (> 0x1000, 0x0 unc.) after mythtv tunes the card but tuning using tzap gives much lower rate (< 0x50).

I've seen other reports of similar instability on the list but haven't yet found anyone that's been able to come up with a solution.

I'm new to DVB and don't (yet) understand how a process goes about tuning a DVB card, but it does seem odd to me that mythtv should give such different results.

Im sure it's not a lack of horsepower on the server ... I'm using a P4 / 2.4GHz, w. 256MD RAM and hdparm -t shows a read rate of 27M.

Any help would be appreciated

Mark