list etiquette [was: Re: [mythtv-users] New recordings option - off topic rant....]

David George david at thegeorges.us
Sat Jul 17 17:15:56 EDT 2004

BP wrote:

> J. Donavan Stanley wrote:
>
>> It's one of those things like "Don't start a new topic by replying to
>> an existing one" or "Don't send HTML to the list." that folks should
>> be aware of.
>
> At least those first two items make sense as blanket rules.  Never top
> posting is ridiculous.  Unless one is replying to specific points in a
> to bottom or inline post is to draw attention to what you are replying
> to.  It's a reference mechanism.  I can't think of a single reason why
> you should bottom post to an entire message.  Only to chopped up,
> relevant pieces.  If you're reading messages in a threaded view (the
> reason for the "don't start a new topic by replying to an existing
> one" rule), insisting people scroll through what they just read 2
> seconds ago is a nuisance.  The first thing I do with most messages on
> this list is immediately scroll to the bottom then scroll up to see
> where the new message started.  I never re-read the quoted message.
> Top posting is much more user friendly in most cases.
>
> Anyhow, sorry for getting off topic.  This oft raised issue just seems
> to hit a bit of a nerve with me.  I know the list won't change, but
> what the heck.

That is why replies should be trimmed to the relevant portions.  The
other things to consider are that some read the list in digest mode and
the biggy, how will it show in the list archives.  The major issue being
the archives, because that is (should be anyway) the first place new
users go to see if an issue has come up before.  Having a nice concise
message with the relevant parts is a lot easier (at least for me anyway)
to find the question and answer that I need in the thousands of messages
in the users list.

Just my 2 cents,
David