[mythtv-users] Backend crashing a lot; unable to get backtrace!

Michael J. Sherman msherman at dsbox.com
Sat Jul 17 15:13:47 EDT 2004

Hi all,

Over the last three weeks mythbackend has been crashing a lot.  Like
once a day.  The really odd part is that whenever I try to run from
within gdb to get a stack trace, I can't even seem to use Myth to watch
TV or do any recordings, because gdb will just stop with the message
"Couldn't get registers: No such process".

I'm continually updating from CVS.  If I schedule two recordings
back-to-back, the first one will usually record just fine, but during
the second one the backend will crash.  I turned off commercial flagging
thinking that was it, but no.  Same result.

Of course I cannot get a backtrace because even starting up the backend
in gdb and running it for a little while (five, ten minutes) gdb will
stop with the "Couldn't get registers: No such process" message.

Any ideas on either the crashes or the gdb weirdness?

At this point Myth is pretty much useless to me.  I can't even trust it
to record a show without crashing out.  So any help would be much
appreciated.  It's been working fine for months up until about
three-four weeks ago.  Back in the day the backend would run for weeks
until I decided to upgrade again.  Now it crashes every day.

2.0 GHz AMD
512 MB RAM
AT TV Wonder VE  bttv-based card