[mythtv-users] Okay, slow down, HDTV idiot here...

Cory Papenfuss papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Sat Jul 17 10:24:26 EDT 2004

>> Or they'll provide a firewire output port like the FCC told them to...
>
> Which will be required, by the broadcast flag rules, to be encrypted.

 	Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that the broadcast
flag is a "voluntary" (until it's mandated) thing.  The broadcast streams may
have the broadcast flag set, but won't be encrypted.  In fact, the demod cards
now (e.g. pcHDTV) must *still work*, so the stream can't be encrypted.

 	So if one were to build a receiver under the new rules and have
a firewire output port spewing demodulated MPEG-TS, it must also encrypt the
stream?  Perhaps that's the thought behind "tethering" it to a single box... if
each manufacturer can encrypt the stream however they want, it can still be
considered "robust."

 	If that's the case, then I'm sure it won't take too long to have
"Billy-Bob's HDTV tuner with firewire output" product hacked to receive all
again.

-Cory