[mythtv-users] Dual processors -- better than single fast processor?

Bryan Simmons bryan.simmons at gmail.com
Fri Jul 16 21:11:54 EDT 2004

I'm using a single AMD Athlon 2100+ ( 1+Ghz) with a pvr-250 for input
and nvidia GeForce4 MX for output (s-video).  This configuration
allows me to:
A.  Watch live tv
B.  Transcode what was just recorded
C.  Use the machine as a general server (web, ftp, etc..)

The only limitation for me seems to be disk access.  I found out, the
hard way, that I can't record video and copy files at the same time.
For some reason this makes for crappy recording.  I'm using a 250GB
Western Digital IDE Ultra 100 for video storage.  The only thing that
would make me happier with my system would be using SATA instead of
IDE for the disks.

I also added a DVD+/-RW so I wouldn't have to permanently Auto Expire
anything. :)
I guess the lesson here is, get the mpeg encoder ON the tv tuner (I
believe mythtv.org suggests this from the get-go).

--

Regards,

Bryan Simmons