[mythtv-users] Re: Any reason for PVR-350 over 250?/nvidia TV-out problems...

Anthony Spinoza spinozacue at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 16 15:28:20 EDT 2004

> TV is interlaced. (Leaving aside progressive DVDs,
> HDTV,

?? half the HDTV are interlaced

> and anything else
> I'm forgetting about.)

> TV-Out on your computer, though, is interlaced again
> (by definition). It
> takes "progressive" data from a buffer, and
> interlaces it, when sending it
> out.

You have to be more specific, NTSC TV out, or any of
the EDTV / HDTV interlaced modes.

> But only the 350 can output that _exact same_
> interlaced signal back to
> your TV. Without reprocessing it. Without
> (unnecessarily) losing any
> quality. Without doing any work.

Oh it does plenty of work, just because the mpeg2 is
done it hardware doesn't mean it's not changing the
picture.

> Our output will never be as good as the 350 (barring
> some harrowing
> advance in driver sophistication - if some other
> hardware can be made to
> do the same trick as the 350?).

Huh? You can achieve this same "trick" with any
capture card and any tv out card. Don't deinterlace
and match the recording resolution to the playback
resolution. Which is esentially all the 350 is doing.
It's just nice to have all the chips on one card.

> But, considering
> most of us are just using
> "standard" NTSC televisions,

Most, for now, probably not next year.

> when we fix what's
> outrageously broken we can
> probably get the difference in quality down below
> what you can detect
> anyway.

what's broken? I'm not trying to be an arse, I just
don't see what's broken. Myth works with nearly every
tv capture card that has drivers in linux, it will
encode pure interlaced, or deinterlace. Playback
interlaced, or deinterlace on the fly.

NTSC myth setup, no deinterlacing

bt878 480x480 interlaced --> encode --> TVout at 480x480
NTSC interlaced timing

-vito

eh.. maybe I am an arse.