[mythtv-users] New Computer Advice

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Thu Jul 15 20:04:28 EDT 2004

On Thursday 15 July 2004 16:43, Russ wrote:

> I have been Trying to learn what I can about MythTV and how to set it
> up. I am planning on getting a new computer while putting some older
> computers back in service as dedicated MythTV boxes. I would like some
> advice though. I will be using this new computer for everything (TV,
> maybe some gaming)
>
> Processor:
> I know a 3ghz will more than do the job, but would I see a performance
> increase with a 3.02/3.04/3.06? Basically, would it be worth the $$ to
> get the 3.06 or is it just bragging rights?

Anything over 2GHz is overkill already. Its not worth the money.

> RAM:
> Do you think it is worth the $$ to upgrade to 1gig from 512meg?

Strictly speaking about Myth, no. Perhaps for some of your gaming, depending
on the game.

> Video:
> I am going with NVidia since it seems to be the best supported under
> Linux. Is it worth the $$ to get the FX5700 or will the FX5500 do?

An FX5200 is still more than enough for Myth. This one again depends on what
games you intend to play on this box.

> For the dedicated boxes I plan on getting 2 PVR 350. Both boxes are
> 1ghz, 512ram with on-board video and sound. Will that be a problem
> (these will be hooked to TV's only)?

Nope. Do you plan on hooking to the TVs via the 350's output? If not, there's
no reason to get 350s over 250s.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com