[mythtv-users] MythMusic -how do you organize your music?

John Erickson jerickso at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 10:55:48 EDT 2004

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 09:31:37 -0500, Paul Smith
<cvpsmith at ncche.olemiss.edu> wrote:
> Rather than start a flame war, I would point out that even with proper ID3
> tags, sorting on them only works if you like to organize your music by
> artist/album/track.  Since I like to organize my stuff a little differently
> (Music/90s/Hardcore/Acid_Bath/etc.), tagging doesn't work.
>
> As Thomas has already pointed out, choice is a good thing...

Data problems aside, if the files have good tags (including year in
your case) a database solution for flexable display is far superior
than having to organize files in a directory hierarchy.

Doing so allows you to solve the problem of multiple artists on a
track, various artist albums, multiple genres for a track (or album),
etc.  You can do much more dynamic sorting with good metadata to start
with.

-John