[mythtv-users] Re: Yet another sound problem

David Wadler david at davidwadler.com
Tue Jul 13 16:27:23 EDT 2004

> I found that using /dev/adsp made high pitched notes sound slightly
> tinny. I'm using the SPDIF out if that helps any...

SPDIF would be nice to have, but I don't have it.  Out of curiosity, do you
know the difference between /dev/dsp and /dev/adsp?  I can't seem to find
any good information on it.

> Another thing to try is a BIOS upgrade (assuming you have an EPIA M).
>
> I read *somewhere* that a BIOS upgrade can help audio quality issues,
> although I fixed mine changing OSS device.

I don't have an EPIA M -- just a crappy Soyo ATX MB with onboard sound.
I've gotten the sound quite a bit better (but still not as good as direct
from the tv) by using the v4lctl command.

# v4lctl -c /dev/video0 setattr "volume" 49000 (this substantially reduced
the clipping)

Doing a "v4lctl list" shows that my sound is mono, but my TV card supports
stereo.  Also, "v4lctl list" shows that the current norm is (null).  When I
try to set the former to stereo and the latter to NTSC, nothing happens.

> Sorry I can't be of more help!

No problem.  I appreciate the effort. :-)

-David