[mythtv-users] Any reason for PVR-350 over 250?

John Smith john_smith_45678 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 12 19:06:04 EDT 2004

Is there any reason to get a Hauppauge PVR-350 instead
of a PVR-250? According to Hauppauge's site, the
PVR-350 only offers mpeg decoding to tv-out and a
remote control. From what I've read in the list, the
tv-out functionality of the pvr-350 is only partially
supported. Something to the effect that it only works
with direct TV and/or mpeg, and not DivX, Xine, etc.
Can somebody elaborate? I also saw comments that
asserted that there's not much performance advantage
to the tv-out decoding - cards such as the
Geforce400MX have some optimizations as well.

It also appears that people favor other universal
remotes instead of the remote included with the
pvr-350.

As for the remote, it looks like a lot of people favor
a pvr-250/Geforce 440MX (on-board?) setup.

So, any reason(s) to choose a pvr-350 instead of a
pvr-250? Or do some people prefer something other than
the pvr-x50's or even software encoding?

Thanks,
John