[mythtv-users] ATI TV Wonder Pro

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Mon Jul 12 16:56:28 EDT 2004

On Monday 12 July 2004 13:03, John Goerzen wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 12, 2004 at 03:13:24PM -0400, Nathan Richardson wrote:
> > I'm trying to decide whether to go with a dual PVR-250 setup or a
> > dual-Brooktree card setup with a box I'm building in an ASUS Pundit.
> > Since the Pundit has only 2 pci slots, I can't use a second sound card
> > for the audio - if I don't go with the 250, any card I get HAS to have
> > btaudio support (as I understand it).
>
> I *highly* recommend the PVR-250.  I have one, having a bt878 card
> before, and there are several things I notice about it:
>
> 1. Higher-quality video

I concur.

> 2. There is no fiddling with sound capture setup since it encodes the
> sound itself

A big plus. Also gives a pretty certain guarantee that audio and video will be
perfectly synchronized.

> 3. Smaller output files

Incorrect. mpeg4 has a much higher compression ratio than mpeg2, so this
depends greatly on the settings you use. For the same resolution and
approximate quality settings, mpeg4 compression with a bttv card will result
in much smaller files. But of course, you can also transcode your mpeg2
PVR-x50 captures to mpeg4 to save space.

> 4. CPU utilization drops from about 50% to 1%

Definitely a big plus if you're short on CPU.

> It's a great card.

Definitely.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE