[mythtv-users] Mythtv, nvidia and tvout

huffman at graze.net huffman at graze.net
Mon Jul 12 11:08:07 EDT 2004

    I have been trying to get optimal picture in my mythtv setup for many months
now.  My problem is smooth playback...it seems to me that optimally, my picture
in MythTV should be of comparable quality to my picture straight out of the
cable box into the TV.  However, I've been struggling w/ motion problems since I
first started working on this nine months ago.

    I'm wondering if anyone can share some suggestions or configuration options
that might help.  I've read many mails but it seems like there is no central
location for information regarding nvidia cards and tvout w/ MythTV.  Some
people are using monitors, some people are using TVs, and there are many
different versions of the drivers.  Some people are compiling from source, some
people are using ATRPMS.  At this point I'm not quite sure where to turn for
help on this.

Currently this is my setup:

  Software:
    Fedore Core 1 - latest patches
    kernel 2.4.22-1.2197.nptl_51.rhfc1.at (ATRPMS)
    Nvidia 6106 - ATRPMS
    MythTV 15.1 - ATRPMS
    ivtv .9     - ATRPMS

  Hardware:
    Intel 845G Motherboard w/ Intel P4 2Gig CPU
    flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca
cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm
    512 Meg Memory
    Hauppauge PVR-250
    NVidia GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X
      Video BIOS: 04.18.20.13.14
      Using SVIDEO output to Mitsubishi projection TV (not HDTV)
    MAudio Delta DIO-2496

  Myth Settings:
    Recording profiles set to record at 720x480

  X settings:
    Tried both 800x600 and 640x480...currently 800x600
    All other settings as suggested on wilsonnet setup FAQ

I have never since I started been able to get smooth playback w/o motion blur.
I experience the following problems:  non-smooth playback during panning, motion
blur for even things as simple as someone turning their head quickly on the
screen, jumpy motion on stock tickers.

I have read many many things and tried many many different combinations of
options / drivers.  I have tried the 4363 drivers w/ the experimental A/V sync,
deinterlacing, jitter reduction and although those things helped, the problem
did not completely go away.  I've tried stock kernel, AT kernel, agpgart, nvidia
AGP, nothing seems to be optimal.  Any more I think my eyes are bugging out and
my brain is fried trying to remember which combination was the best.

I know that a lot of this is MythTV related b/c watching DVDs in xine results in
MUCH better video performance...but there's still a *tiny* bit of motion blur.
I haven't actually tried to compare to mplayer recently.

Can anyone offer any advice?  The only thing that I haven't tried yet is
compiling mythtv myself and using XvMC.  No where have I read that this helps -
a lot of people have actually recommended turning it off, but I'm at my wits
end.  :-(

Thanks in advance,
Brian