[mythtv-users] OT? /proc/pci

Stephen Tait tait at digitallaw.co.uk
Mon Jul 12 08:36:17 EDT 2004

At 08:13 12/07/2004 -0400, you wrote:
>Stephen,
>
>Thanks for your response.  That's what I suspected, but I wanted to be
>sure before I got drastic.
>
>The box that the PVRs are in is a bit overloaded, IRQ-wise.  I had to add
>an IDE controller, video, sound, and LAN, just to get started. Despite
>disabling the on-board IDE (udma33), I suspect its taking up IRQs.  I was
>already thinking about moving MythTv to another, more modern box.  Guess
>I'll just have to do it!
>
>Sean

You have to watch those PCI-IDE controllers, if they're anything like the
Promise TX2 I've got, they take up a whole IRQ as well. More modern boxes
don't necessarily help either... just try disabling all the gumpf in the
BIOS (onboard sound, parallel, serial, yadda yadda) before you splurge on
new HW.

Depending on the BIOS you've got, it should give you a less-than-helpful
rundown of what  hardwares are using which IRQ's (my crummy old mATX P3
board that I'm trying to bludgeon back to life tends to lump everything
that isn't USB or NIC as a "multimedia controller"). Hope this is of some
use; someone more knowledgeable might have a better idea of what's going on.