[mythtv-users] Nvidia TVout problem

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Fri Jul 9 16:10:30 EDT 2004

On Friday 09 July 2004 12:30, fweebles at cerebellum.salem.nexgengaming.com
wrote:
> Jarod Wilson wrote:
> >I would give the 4363 drivers a try. Could also be that your TV just
> > doesn't like the modes you're feeding it, and maybe you need a custom
> > one...
>
> Hmm...apparently I don't have the kernel module installed for 4363 to work
> with the newest ATrpms kernel -- it appears to have installed another
> (older) version of the kernel that doesn't have support for anything (XFS,
> my ethernet card, other things).  So I guess I'll have to recompile my
> options back into that older kernel to try 4363.

Waugh! I hadn't noticed that there are no more 4363 kernel modules on
ATrpms... Axel, can we keep building the 4363 ones for at least a little
while longer? I know more than a few people have had little issues here and
there with the new ones...

> I wondered if it might have something to do with a custom mode, but I
> honestly have no idea how the "ModeLine" parameters work, and wouldn't know
> where to go about finding values to stick in there.

Its some ugly voodoo, but there are a few folks on the list that know 'em
quite well...

> I also tried playing with the nvidia-setting program, but it didn't seem to
> have any effect on myth whatsoever.  Even when I turned the flicker filter
> right down to zero (so it was only displaying every other line), mythtv's
> menus (but alas, not the TV picture) was coming through as normal.
>
> On closer inspection of the TV screen while the live TV is playing, it
> appears as if the problem is an interlacing one, with the even numbered
> lines shifted slightly to the right of the odd numbered ones (or vice
> versa, I can't tell exactly which of course).

I suppose it could be an issue with the connection to the TV... Are you using
a good quality cable to connect the computer to the TV? (Just a shot in the
dark). I'm still thinking your best bet is to try the 4363 driver first
though. Just install your matching kernel-source, put the .config file in
place and nvidia's installer. I think you'll have to export
IGNORE_GCC_MISMATCH=true before running it though. Or something like that...

> I wish I could screen capture the display and link to it, but for obvious
> reasons that doesn't work too well.

There's a way to do it, I think. I just don't know what it is...

> Ongoing thanks,

:-)

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE