[mythtv-users] Codecs on PVR-250

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Fri Jul 9 15:42:51 EDT 2004

On Friday 09 July 2004 12:26, John Goerzen wrote:
> [ lots of snipping ]

Good man. :-)

> On Fri, Jul 09, 2004 at 11:24:22AM -0700, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> > I did all my visual comparison with 8000/16000
> > for my HQ stuff, 4500/6000 for my LQ stuff, and it looks pretty damned
> > good with both of them... Best thing to do is try it out yourself, and
> > see what you like best, I think.
>
> I set my bitrates substantially lower than that, going about 6000/6500
> for HQ and around 2000 for LQ, with 720x480 on the former and 320x480 on
> the latter.  The quality off this PVR-250 is really amazing, and after
> being used to the quality of the ReplayTV, even this LQ setting looks
> great.  I use Default most of the time, which sits at about 4000/5000 on
> 720x480.

I can definitely tell the difference between my 8000/16000 stuff and my
4500/6000 stuff when viewing on my HDTV. Very little difference, if any, when
I watch them on my SDTV though.

> > > However, that still doesn't address everything.  Should I use the
> > > MPEG-2 PS, MPEG-2 TS, DVD, DVD-Special 1, or DVD-Special 2 codec when
> > > capturing, or does it even matter?
> >
> > I believe any of them should work, because they're all a form of MPEG2,
> > but I'd use DVD-Special 2, and a resolution of 720x480. Commercial DVD
> > movies are typically 720x480 (in NTSC land), possibly anamorphic,
> > possibly not (you'd not be creating anamorphic). I haven't really paid
> > attention on the audio side, I always use 5.1(+) channel AC3 audio when
> > ripping 'em. I'm very happy with the audio quality on my recordings,
> > which are 48000Hz and (I believe) 192kbps on audio.
>
> I've been using those audio settings, but I've noticed that it distorts
> things like "s" sounds, so I'm bumping my audio bitrate up a bit.

It just clicked in my head. I'm actually using 384kbps for my audio (on the HQ
stuff, not certain on the LQ).

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com