[mythtv-users] Need Help with crashing lircd with mceusb

Mitko Haralanov voidtrance at comcast.net
Fri Jul 9 13:43:37 EDT 2004

	Hi, tonight I attempted to upgrade my mythtv box to the latest nvidia
drivers. That meant that I had to upgrade to kernel-2.4.22-1.2197. That
went all fine, however, ever since I can't get lircd to work.

Every time I try to access /dev/lirc, I get:

Jul  7 21:20:09 mythtv lircd 0.7.0pre4[2061]: accepted new client on /dev/lircd
Jul  7 21:20:09 mythtv lircd 0.7.0pre4[2061]: could not open /dev/lirc
Jul  7 21:20:09 mythtv lircd 0.7.0pre4[2061]: default_init(): No such device
Jul  7 21:20:09 mythtv lircd 0.7.0pre4[2061]: caught signal

I found one thread that suggests that I should be using lirc-0.70pre4.
However, you can see from the message above that that is what I am
using.

I have tried playing with my modules.conf. Originally (when it worked
with the old kernel), it was as follows:

alias char-major-61 lirc_i2c
add above ivtv lirc_dev lirc_i2c

That did not work with the new kernel/driver. I also tried:

alias char-major-61 lirc_mceusb
add above ivtv lirc_dev lirc_mceusb

and that did not work either. When the lirc_mceusb module loads, I get
the following:

Jul  7 21:13:44 mythtv lircd 0.7.0pre4[2061]: lircd(any) ready
Jul  7 21:13:44 mythtv lircd: lircd startup succeeded
Jul  7 21:15:20 mythtv kernel: usb.c: deregistering driver ir_transceiver
Jul  7 21:15:51 mythtv kernel: usb.c: registered new driver ir_transceiver
Jul  7 21:15:51 mythtv kernel: lirc_mceusb.c: USB Microsoft IR Transceiver Driver v0.2

After playing with it for some time, I decided that I am going to put
the remote aside and come back to it. So I went on to installing the
ALSA drivers. After I did that, I rebooted the box to see how it will
behave on restart. At that point, I was very surprised that the remote
actually worked (without me changing anything but ALSA).

However, my joy was too short... It turns out that the remote works only
some times. Other times, it reverts to the behavior described above.

I have run out of idea of what to look for!!! Will compiling lircd with
debugging enable be able to tell me anything?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanx

--
Mitko Haralanov