[mythtv-users] How to make a good bug report?

John Goerzen jgoerzen at complete.org
Fri Jul 9 13:09:29 EDT 2004

On Fri, Jul 09, 2004 at 06:44:08PM +0200, Henk Poley wrote:
> Op vrijdag 9 juli 2004 18:26, schreef Joseph A. Caputo:
> > <snip>
> > I realize this info is not on the "how to report a bug" page you linked
> > (http://www.mythtv.org/bugs/bugwritinghelp.html), but in all fairness,
> > Isaac *just* set up Bugzilla and it's not meant for the general
> > population just yet.  That "how to report a bug" page looks like
> > generic boilerplate material from the Bugzilla distribution; it's not
> > written for Myth at all.  Hopefully it will be replaced at some point.
> > Care to volunteer to write a good bug-reporting guide for Myth?
>
> Just a 'dumb' suggestion, why not quote your mail (that part I snipped) on the
> bug reporting help page, seems appropriate as a start. And make sure some of
> the more necesairy things appear as (or in the) entry boxes.

I was going to say exactly that :-)

How about drop-down boxes for:

 * Distribution
   Choices: Fedora, RedHat, Debian, Gentoo, Mandrake, Other

 * Kernel Series
   Choices: 2.4, 2.6

 * Capture Card
   Choices: PVR-250/350, bttv, other

 * Video Manufacturer
   Choices: ATI, nVidia, S3, Via, other

 * CPU
   Choices: Pentium III, Pentium IV, Celeron, Pentium M, Athlon, Duron,
     Athlon64, Opteron, Itanium, Alpha, Sparc, Sparc64, PowerPC

etc...