[mythtv-users] Controlling the overscan on a PVR350

David myth at dgreaves.com
Fri Jul 9 03:54:42 EDT 2004

Michael Petres wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am using a PVR350 and output X to the tv as well using the ivtvdev X
> driver. I would like to reduce the amount of overscan that X window is
> using itself. I know how to set overscan amount inside myth but no
> values there help me with the issues of excessive overscan, i.e. some
> stuff is hanging off the left/right side of the screen. In all I am
> loosing way too many pixels for overscan, more than 50 horizontally...

what stuff?
Do you mean when you don't run myth?

> In the XF86Config-4 file the X-Screen size is set to 720x480, but I
> see no setting for the overscan amount.

there are none.
You can't control it like that - yet?

> Is this an issue for the IVTV folks perhaps? Any help is appreciated.

Yes

It was discussed on the ivtv list recently.

There may be a way to reduce the fb size and apply offset so it appears
to X to be maybe 680x430 offset by +25+25 - but you can do that in myth
anyway.

No real resolution to overscan yet.

Others are interested - it depends whether we can find out what to tell
the saa7127 video output chip :)

David