[mythtv-users] CPU power for digital tuners

Jon Whitear jon at whitear.org
Thu Jul 8 18:40:08 EDT 2004

> > I currently just record normal SDTV, if I were to start HDTV what
> > should I be looking at?
> >
> Just a note on the three cards, I assume you're talking about PVR
> (hardware mpeg encoders) style of cards?

I take it you mean DVB cards - you might want to check out the mailing
list at linuxtv.org for any issues running multiple cards in one
machine. On the whole, it seems it's not a problem.

CPU power isn't going to be an issue for a backend only box. I have one
DVB-T in my P3 500, and that uses about 6% CPU while recording. On the
other hand, general throughput (e.g. PCI bus, HDD) might become a
problem. Here in Oz, SD broadcasts are about 6Mbit/s, and I think HD are
10-12. If you've got a few cards recording HDTV at the same time, you'll
want to make sure you've got a pretty quick disk subsystem.

Cheers,

Jon