[mythtv-users] Questions about themes and scaleing

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Thu Jul 8 14:24:56 EDT 2004

On Thursday 08 July 2004 13:33, Corey Woodworth wrote:
> 2. The lila theme I plan to use as a starting point for my theme is
> 95% SVG (Scalable Vector Graphic) images. Does myth support SVG at
> all? If not I think it really really should becuase SVG is an amazing
> format that eliminates the pixels size of images and replaces them
> with relative sizes. This means no matter what resolution display an
> image is displayed on, it'll always take up the same chunk of the
> screen. So on ultra high resolutions, images won't become so small
> they're impossible to see but rather they will scale up and just look
> beatifully detailed. On the other end of the spectrum, when the same
> image is shown on low resolutions such as analogue TV displays, the
> image doesn't looked extremly zoomed in and bleed off the display. On
> those analogue displays it takes up the same amount of on-screen real
> estate but just look a little more pixleated. This is all done on the
> fly as well so it may be one possible solution to eliminating those
> pre-scaling image times.

Myth (especially the front-end menus and such) is built on the Qt
toolkit.  AFAIK, Qt does not natively support SVG, but it's merely a
matter of writing a Qt image plugin class to support SVG.  Once that
exists, Myth should be able to use SVG images anywhere.  Rumor has it
that Qt 4 (coming in early 2005) will support SVG.

> 3. I would really love to do some subtle 3D pre-rendered animations
> as backgrounds. I think they would just look gorgeous. I know in X it
> is possible to set the root window as a repeating movie. I also
> realize that mythfrontend is a program that runs atop of the root
> window, but the idea is the same. Is such an effect currently
> possible in myth?

This should be really easy using animated GIF or MNG animations, as
they're supported by Qt for placement on QLabel widgets.  For other
formats, probably a bit more work.

-JAC