[mythtv-users] What are my realistic expections with pvr250 and P3600Mhz?

Jon Whitear jon at whitear.org
Wed Jul 7 05:33:29 EDT 2004

> doing live tv or recording...I'm only at about 2% cpu usage.....when
on
> live
> tv or recording...cpu usage jumps to 90%-92% with vertical settings
from
> 480
> to 320.

You shouldn't be seeing high CPU usage when you're only recording. I
have a P3 500 with a DVB-T card (similar to your PVR-250 in that it
requires no intervention by the CPU to output its MPEG2 stream) and
mythbackend uses about 6% CPU while I'm recording.

If you're getting high CPU usage when watching live TV (i.e. recording
and playing back) you might be able to address it by getting a video
card that offloads some of the MPEG2 decoding from the CPU.

Cheers,

Jon