[mythtv-users] Codecs on PVR-250

John Goerzen jgoerzen at complete.org
Tue Jul 6 19:13:14 EDT 2004

Hi,

I just got my PVR-250 and I'm interested in setting it up for optimal
quality, space use, and compatibility (meaning that I would eventually
like to be able to write files out to DVDs, playable instandard
players, without having to recode the stream.)

But I don't know what the different codec options are and what the
tradeoffs are.  For instance: what is the difference between MPEG-2
PS, MPEG-2 TS, DVD, DVD-Special 1, and DVD-Special 2?  Do they have
different quality characteristics?

To be usable on a DVD, I know that very specific codecs must be used
along with very specific sample rates and frame sizes.  Does anybody
have a recipe to do this right off the bat?

Thanks!

-- John