[mythtv-users] Re: EFF calls for developers for MythTV

Stephen Tait tait at digitallaw.co.uk
Tue Jul 6 18:58:48 EDT 2004

At 18:29 06/07/2004 -0400, you wrote:
>Francois Gouget wrote:
>This is a systems integration issue outside the scope of MythTV.  Heck
>it's outside the scope of what the EFF wants since ivtv has nothing to do
>with HDTV...  Improving the ivtv drivers affects more than just Myth.  It
>*should* be done  and it is being done but really the manufacturer should
>be driving it not MythTV...

And I still find it hard to believe that IVTV has come on in leaps and
bounds with *no* help from anyone. You'd think that hauppauge or someone
would at least pretend to help with the Linux effort; it's not like they
haven't made a packet out of practically everyone on this list.

>If someone were buying this you'd be right.  As it is, it's an issue for
>package maintainers at best.  Unless I know what remote you're using I
>can't decide what keys should do what...  But if I control the hardware
>then I could and should make everything consistant...

IANAC, but I'd imagine that keeping up with the mPlayer/Xine/whatever
release schedule and integrating it all into Myth would be far too much
bother than it's worth. Far more useful would be a nice default lircrc for
Xine and mPlayer for use in Myth in the contrib tree (maybe with a readme
telling you how to configure them to use ONLY the myth lircrc when they're
launched from Myth), and keep MythVideo et al as they are for now.

As cynical as I was at first, I can see why Myth has taken alot of the
design decisions it's taken.