[mythtv-users] Advice on cheap boxes for front-ends only

Stephen Tait tait at digitallaw.co.uk
Tue Jul 6 16:20:36 EDT 2004

At 11:58 06/07/2004 -0300, you wrote:
>On July 6, 2004 11:02 am, Stephen Tait wrote:
> > When you say "low power", are we talking MPEG2 low power, or MPEG4 low
> > power? Most o' those funky EPIA boards will handle MPEG2 fine, but will
> > thrash on some MPEG4. Some of the newer boards are fine with MPEG4, at the
> > expense of some noise and heat.
>
>I actually meant low power as in power usage :P

Sorry, I always think of horses first. Personally I'd go for a mATX with an
Athlon Mobile (or Ultra Low Voltage, or whatever they're called) in it, but
that's just me; I dislike proprietary components, and I don't think the
EPIA's are terribly good value for money.

>But I would need MPEG4. Ar ethose EPIA boards really thatc rappy? My dad's
>P233 can play MPEG4 video for pete's sake. It's not hard to play MPEG4.

Firstly there's the issue of GFX drivers, which aren't stunningly good
under Linux at the moment (I don't know what the GFX for the Xbox are like,
as I have zero interest in buying another MS product ever again... I just
hope my mouse lasts long enough...). I think even the most powerful EPIA's
are only rated to be about the same speed as a 4-500 MHz P3, alot of their
multimedia functionality comes from inbuilt acceleration circuits in the
nbridge, etc, which are poorly supported under Linux. I think even the
highest powered EPIA boards will choke on high res XviD's, but this is just
anecdotal as I don't have one to try out myself.

As Isaac pointed out a few days ago, you get miserable performance out of
fullscreen Goom with them...

> > Of course, the Xbox is subsidised hardware, but then you won't be able to
> > add any PCI cards or grooviness like that; presumably you can add-on USB
> > peripherals
>
>What would be the need for any add on hardware? Remember this is front end
>only.

Well, there's frontends and frontends. My frontend had a digi TV card in it
(until the HD died) cos the backend is only a mATX at the mo, and so can
only fit one tuner card in. One of the best things about this whole
client/server thing. Eventually my current workstation will be turned into
the master back, so two digi cards in the backend and a PVR-250 and a digi
card in the frontends seem a good idea.