[mythtv-users] Nvidia / Rivafb Unloading

David George david at thegeorges.us
Tue Jul 6 09:12:06 EDT 2004

On Tue, 6 Jul 2004, Cory Megitt wrote:

>  Hi All;
>
> I am running Fedora Core 2 and installed the 6106 drivers for the Gforce
> 5200.  I get an error when installing (rivafb is loaded and must be
> removed).  I'm not sure how to do this..
>
> Can someone point me in the right direction.   I'm a little new at loading /
> unloading modules or recompiling the kernel.

Actually it says that the nVidia driver conflicts with and to make sure it
doesn't get loaded.  At least on my system it doesn't automatically load.
However after a bit of googling a friend and I found that the rivafb
module can be disabled on bootup without needing to recompile the kernel
removing the rivafb module.

I am also running FC2 (on my test system with nVidia 6106) and added the
following to the end of the kernel line in my /boot/grub/grub.conf:

video=rivafb:off

Make sure you modify the section you are actually booting from if you have
multiple kernels installed.

Here is the whole section on mine:

title Fedora Core (2.6.7-v4l2-pcHDTV)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.7-v4l2-pcHDTV ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet video=rivafb:off
        initrd /initrd-2.6.7-v4l2-pcHDTV.img

HTH,
David

P.S.  My system did work fine without adding this and rebooting.  I only
added it to be anal ;)